Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Good eating in Montreal

My next several blog entries will be about the trip up to Montreal. I'm not going to go into several days worth of "On Day 1 we did this, on Day 2 we did this etc." Instead, I am going to post in categories -- food, sights, bars, other. I figure four posts over the next week or so should cover this five-night trip up north.

I've been to Montreal many times and this one was a friggin blast. The first thing I am going to cover is the eating we did in Montreal. And we did a lot of good eating. Which is something, in the past, that we didn't always do. So I'm just going to mention some places we ate and all and how good they were. :)

By far, the best dinner we had was the second night. We went with a local to a place called Le Paris on St. Catherine Ouest. Outstanding dinner. It's a small French place. A small little place and it's apparently been in business since the 1950s. I can tell why.

I had what basically was a three-course meal. I opened with a grilled goat cheese salad (oh man, this was fantastic), then had salmon with some sort of sauce on it and finished with a creme brulee. The desert wasn't what I had hoped for, but everything else was killer. Even the beer I had with dinner was awesome. It was a little pricey (with tip, it cost me around 60C), but it was well worth it.

Other dinners we had included Dundee's (a burger, some poutine and a beer our first night up there, awesome!), pizza, a sub from a small deli/bakery, and well, the one I'm going to mention next -- La Banquise.

I'm a big fan of poutine. Ever since I found it a couple years back at Dundee's, I've loved it. So after doing some research, La Banquise is supposed to be one of the finest places in Montreal. In a heavily French part of the city, we got to see an area we had never been to. The place, too, didn't disappoint.

It was, by far, the best poutine I ever had. The next time I go up to Montreal, you can bet I will be there again. There were so many different kinds to try and I went with a basic one with bacon. But it was so good.

Breakfasts were pretty simple. We ate at Chez Cora a couple of times, a deli another and the Peel Pub. I'm always a fan of Chez Cora and the Peel Pub. When visiting this city, you should check them both out. Both give you a large portion for a very competitive price and fill you up. It's a great way to start the day.

However, the Peel Pub has moved. I'll miss the downstairs place because it was an interesting place to eat. The new place is pretty nice though and the food was just as good!

Lunch we usually mixed with breakfast. We did grab a bagel one day at Tim Horton's (like I could go to Canada and not eat at Tim Horton's!), but outside of that, I can't remember other places we ate.

One place though was Schwartz's. This was a place I had wanted to go for a long time. Famed in and out of Montreal, I wanted to try the smoked meat. So I got the big plate. So did my one friend. Holy smokes do they give you a lot to eat! We didn't finish it. The cool part was how they worked inside the place. Two lines were formed outside -- one for sitdown, the other for takeout.

I didn't go all that way to take it out.

As soon as a table opened, we were seated. Others were seated with us (three older ladies from Florida). We had a good chat, some good eats and got out of there so they could jam some others in it. The place is 24 hours and I was told there is ALWAYS a line to get in. This was at around 12:30 p.m. and the wait wasn't too bad. Next time I'm in Montreal, I'll check it out for sure!

One other place I want to mention was after a night of boozing it. We went with some locals to a small diner called Mo's. If I can find it again, I'll likely go. I had a grilled cheese and some poutine and then we caught a cab back to the hotel as the sun started to come up. Interesting night for sure.

I'll be back this week with a couple more entries. I'll probably do one on some of the things we saw, some things we did up there and a couple of other tidbits.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

August 10, 2006 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

August 15, 2006 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home